Good. LORD.
sigh :/...
I wrestle with the emotions that toy with a parent on a daily basis that scream "your child must have extra curricular activities! Then I give into a few of the pressures and realize about a month and a half into a soccer season how much I hate those pressures!! When did it become so complicated? And expensive??? And the time??...oh the time...
All I have to say is, the people that run this program must have nothing else going on in their lives, I mean really! I finally had to send an email that said, "We are not participating in any more soccer activities now that the season is over"
I am sure I have been labeled "Parent who doesn't care as much as WE do" but gawd almighty already I am ready to have my life back!
It was great fun to be a part of those girls lives for a bit, each of them having their own unique personality and seeing them grow as players was so great. I also learned a few things along the way...
I stepped out of a huge comfort zone of my own to take on the responsibility of being a coach, which is a big accomplishment.
I realized that I do push my child more than others because I know she is capable of more. I also realized that my approach can be better when I do push her, however, I will never stop doing it.
I realized that no matter how much I want to, I cannot stop the single dad from dumping his child with me while he leaves to go to the bar, nor can I stress to her single mom that she desperately needs her attention.
After one game in particular, I am going to ask if it is possible to implement a new rule with girls teams; time out for drama...
I realized that no matter how many practices we have, drills we run or lectures I give, at the end of the day these girls are just small women who cannot seem to override the instinctive part of them that waits for the ball to come to them vs attacking it.
These small women, ran harder than they ever have, faced disappointments and mistakes head on, became good fast friends within just a few minutes of meeting, and found strengths they never thought they had.
And also? They never. stopped. talking.
I learned so much from each of these girls and I feel more complete having had the opportunity to try and make a difference in each of their lives. I hope they learned to not take life too seriously, that no matter if we win or loose the most important thing is that they gave it their all, and at the end of the day if we treat each other with respect, we will gain respect from each other.
This chapter of my life can now be closed, the book put on the shelf, the story over but the memories not forgotten.



1 comment:
Those pictures of the girls are great!!! The one in the front row, left is the cutest of all though!!
Liked what you wrote about the LOOOONG soccer season as well. I'm sure you were a GREAT coach!
Love ya,
mom
Post a Comment